- Patricia Buckley, Interviewer
- Ken Wrigglesworth, Videographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This image is a screenshot taken from a video produced by the Oakville Public Library and the Town of Oakville. This video is an interview with Geoffrey Smith, a World War II veteran.
- In this interview, Geoffrey Smith talks about his experiences working in the navy and operating sonar equipment as an Anti-Submarine Detection and Investigation Officer. He describes how he ended up in this specialized division formed by Britain after World War I in order to more effectively hunt submarines. Geoffrey goes on to describe how three different times he was escorting a convoy that was attacked and how he was stationed out of Australia. He also speaks about going before a selection board in Halifax and then being selected to go on to King’s College.
- Oakville Public Library and the Town of Oakville
- Place of Publication
- Oakville, Ontario
- Date of Original
- January 23, 2006
- Local identifier
- Oakville at War Veteran Interviews
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Reproduction Notes
- Creative Commons Noncommercial: This work may be copied, distributed, displayed, and performed, as well as have derivative works based upon it — but for noncommercial purposes only.
- Oakville Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
Oakville Public Library
120 Navy Street
Oakville ON L6J 2Z4
Tel: (905) 815-2042
For information about photographs, news articles, or other information included in this database, please contact the Local Collections Librarian by email.