- Patricia Buckley, Interviewer
- Ken Wrigglesworth, Videographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This image is a screenshot taken from a video produced by the Oakville Public Library and the Town of Oakville. This video is an interview with Harry Barrett, a World War II veteran, and can be found on the TownTV website: http://www.towntv.ca/oaw-barrett.htm.
- In this interview, Harry Barrett, former mayor of Oakville, talks about his experiences prior to and in the Second World War. Harry speaks about joining and training with the cadet core for five years. While training with them, he was issued uniforms and Ross Rifles from the First World War and later Boer War rifles. Harry joined the army with his friend Bill Russell and they were sent for training in Petawawa, Ontario. From there, Harry went on to England for a short time, landed in France in Calais, and then went to Belgium. He was also stationed in The Netherlands at the Nijmegen Bridge for the winter of 1944 to 1945. He was trained as a gunner but was then transferred to the reconnaissance unit where he scouted for locations, ran wires out to forward observation posts, and did flash spotting. Harry also mentions some of the near misses he had, the camaraderie that developed between him and his chums, and a set of amusing circumstances surrounding a “blighty” leave he went on.
- Oakville Public Library and the Town of Oakville
- Place of Publication
- Oakville, Ontario
- Date of Original
- January 24, 2006
- Local identifier
- Oakville at War Veteran Interviews
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Creative Commons Noncommercial: This work may be copied, distributed, displayed, and performed, as well as have derivative works based upon it — but for noncommercial purposes only.
- Oakville Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
Oakville Public Library
120 Navy Street
Oakville ON L6J 2Z4
Tel: (905) 815-2042
For information about photographs, news articles, or other information included in this database, please contact the Local Collections Librarian by email.