Alan John Cutmore
- Ken Wrigglesworth, Videographer
- Janette Schuringa, Interviewer
- Koorosh Zarezadeh, Editor
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This image is a screenshot taken from a video produced by the Oakville Public Library and the Town of Oakville. This video is an interview with Alan John Cutmore, a World War II veteran.
- In this interview, Alan John Cutmore talks about his experiences in the Canadian navy. In 1938, Alan and his family moved to Oakville from Toronto. He was seventeen. He and his brother went into the service in 1942. In June of that year he went to Halifax for training in the navy and his brother went west at the same time. That was the last time he saw his brother; he died in the invasion of southern France. John went on to Scotland and the HMCS Niobe, which was the Canadian naval base. He worked on the HMCS Weston as a stoker in the boiler and engine rooms and patrolled off the coast of Africa as well as escorted convoys from the U.K. to the Dutch West Indies During this time, he had a few harrowing experiences. John remembers the celebration of VE day at home with his wife.
- Oakville Public Library and the Town of Oakville
- Place of Publication
- Oakville, Ontario
- Date of Original
- January 24, 2007
- Local identifier
- Oakville at War Veteran Interviews
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Creative Commons Noncommercial: This work may be copied, distributed, displayed, and performed, as well as have derivative works based upon it — but for noncommercial purposes only.
- Oakville Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
Oakville Public Library
120 Navy Street
Oakville ON L6J 2Z4
Tel: (905) 815-2042
For information about photographs, news articles, or other information included in this database, please contact the Local Collections Librarian by email.