Tapleytown School, Saltfleet Twp., Wentworth County
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- How is it that this Wentworth County school photograph is in the collection of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society? The Norton family of Tapleytown married into the Wilkinson family of Palermo, Trafalgar Township.
John and Elizabeth (Clark) Norton came into the Niagara area of Canada from the United States in 1837, settling in Tapleytown, Wentworth County. Four of their children married into the Palermo, Trafalgar Township area.
Family descendent Alan Norton wrote about the connection in the Winter 2014 issue of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society newsletter: Three of the children, Louisa, Hiram and Demarius married Wilkinson siblings of Palermo, Trafalgar Township, Halton County. They were Robert, Elizabeth and James who was called Andy respectively. It is family lore that Hiram Norton...was a hired hand of Francis Wilkinson and Clarissa Simons and that is how he met their daughter Elizabeth. They married in 1867, How he got to be in Palermo is not known, a distance of 35 kilometres. Interestingly though, Robert W and Louisa N married in 1865....Prudence, the 4th Norton to be connected to Palermo, was married to Alex Forbes about 1864....
- Tapleytown is located in the former Saltfleet Township in Wentworth County, Ontario. when the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth was established in 1974, Saltfleet Township took the name of its major town to form the Municpality of Stoney Creek. As of 2001, the area is part of the City of Hamilton.
- Handwritten on the back of the photograph: Mrs. Alex Tweedle gave me this photograph just 2 weeks before she died. She was Jessie Forrester before she married and went to school with my mother.
taken in front of Tapletown School.
- Date of Original:
- Personal Name(s):
- James Norton, 1874-1944 - bottom row, 5th from our right, in centre.
Clara Fortman, 1872-1897 - middle row, end on our far right.
Jessie Forrester (married Alex Tweedle) top row, 2nd from end on our left.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Tapleytown School, Saltfleet Twp., Wentworth County
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton