- Janette Schuringa, Interviewer
- Simon Jones, Editor
- Ken Wrigglesworth, Videographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This image is a screenshot taken from a video produced by the Oakville Public Library and the Town of Oakville. This video is an interview with Jim Gibb, a World War II veteran.
- In this fascinating and lengthy interview, Jim Gibb talks in detail about the multitude of experiences he had while serving in artillery from July 1940 to October 1, 1945 in World War II. Training in both England and Scotland and then landing in Sicily, Jim traveled through Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, and Holland. During his travels he was involved in many battles of note including the Battle Ortona, the fourth and final battle in the Battle of Monte Casino, and the final push for the liberation of Holland. Jim was hospitalized twice over the course of the war, once when he contracted malaria and had enteritis and once after he received a concussion in a jeep accident. He has returned to Holland four times since then and on his last trip he met and shook hands with the Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, who thanked him for being there. Jim has also had families who have hosted him during these trips visit him and his family in Canada.
- Local identifier
- Oakville at War Veteran Interviews
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Creative Commons Noncommercial: This work may be copied, distributed, displayed, and performed, as well as have derivative works based upon it — but for noncommercial purposes only.
- Oakville Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
Oakville Public Library
120 Navy Street
Oakville ON L6J 2Z4
Tel: (905) 815-2042
For information about photographs, news articles, or other information included in this database, please contact the Local Collections Librarian by email.