- Janette Schuringa, Interviewer
- Simon Jones, Editor
- Ken Wrigglesworth, Videographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This image is a screenshot taken from a video produced by the Oakville Public Library and the Town of Oakville. This video is an interview with Donald Leaver, a World War II veteran.
- In this interview, Donald Leaver tells about his experience as an officer during World War II. Donald joined the militia in 1940 with the Lorne Scots and trained in Niagara. Wanting to get into the war and see some action, he took his tests to become an officer in Toronto and then was sent to England as reinforcement. On D-Day, he was stationed at a former girls’ school and witnessed hundreds of airplanes flying back and forth from the battle. When he went to the mainland, he was stationed with the Algonquin Regiment which went up through Belgium and Antwerp. Donald speaks about the many incidents that he had at time until he was wounded by a piece of shrapnel and sent to Antwerp and then back to England. Donald married his wife Eileen on January 2 in England and then she later met him in Canada after he returned. This is a very heartfelt and detailed interview that is a pleasure to watch.
- Oakville Public Library and the Town of Oakville
- Place of Publication
- Oakville, Ontario
- Local identifier
- Oakville at War Veteran Interviews
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Creative Commons Noncommercial: This work may be copied, distributed, displayed, and performed, as well as have derivative works based upon it — but for noncommercial purposes only.
- Oakville Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
Oakville Public Library
120 Navy Street
Oakville ON L6J 2Z4
Tel: (905) 815-2042
For information about photographs, news articles, or other information included in this database, please contact the Local Collections Librarian by email.