W.J. Chisholm and Family At the Hornby General Store
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- From left to right are: Bill Lindsay standing by the buggy, Will and Margaret (née Bussell) Chisholm and daughter Helen outside the Hornby Store. Bill Lindsay was the store owner and postmaster.
This is the earlier wood-frame store which burned down in 1929. It was rebuilt in brick.
- Hornby was unofficially centered around the intersection of Trafalgar Road and Steeles but in reality, it is so widespread, people refer to "Hornby East" and "Hornby West". It spread into both Esquesing and the old Trafalgar Townships. The store has always been at Steeles and Trafalgar, now (in 2017) it is at the Steeles and Hornby Road intersection. The village was named for Hornby Castle in England because of a family connection.
In later years, the house in the background belonged to the Alfred Brigden family. Mr. Brigden was very active in the community and Hornby Park was created because of his tireless work.
- Will Margaret Helen Chisholm, Bill Lindsay
- Date of Original:
- ca 1917
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- W.J. Chisholm and Family At the Hornby General Store
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton