In the beginning (1925), the goal of the Society was to stimulate "the beautification of public properties and encourage the extermination of eyesores in Bronte Village." The organization accomplished this goal through active communication with Town leaders and residents by providing civic service.
The Society approached the Ratepayer’s Association for their support in presenting a petition to the Provincial Government and Township Council, to assist in cleaning up the dump and moving derelict dredges and barges from the Harbour.
Bronte Horticultural Society meeting minutes (1939) Details
The Harbour was a place for people working the lake. Society minutes indicate the approval to plant two trees at Centriller School in 1939.
The following month (May) the Executive approved initial steps to place a fountain at what was later called ‘Commemoration Park’. However, no one knows where this park might have been. The town has no record that such a park ever existed. One suspects that the name was coined by the BHS Executive to recognize the coronation of King George VI and/or to coincide with the Royal tour of Canada by King George and Queen Elizabeth.
The Society was also involved in the major project of cleaning up (and eventual purchase of) the Gore.
Oakville, known for crabapples Details
In the 1940s, the Society promoted fundraising for the Bronte War Service League, by way of Bingo and Euchre; the Society obtained approval from the school and the police to hold the Bingo events.
In honour of the success of Otto and Maria Jelinek at the Olympics, flowering crab trees were planted at Coronation Park.
Ongoing civic projects (in partnership with the Town Parks Board) also included landscaping/plantings at public buildings, Churches, and parks, such as Arbor Day events and the Bronte Harbour project.
Community outreach encouraged horticultural interest among local youth groups. Activities included essay and poster contests, bird house competitions, and seed planting.
Coronation District Girl Guides, Woodside Library (1980) Details
Mr. R.A. Hopkins of Centriller Public School facilitated junior programs with the Society. Supplies were provided to local Girl Guides and Boy Scouts to support their work on gardening badges. Society volunteers were involved with instruction and testing for these badges. Incentives included bronze medals and awards.
Twenty-Nine Girl Guides Do Their Good Deed! Details
The Society donated funds to Resource Rangers, Junior Conservationists of the Ontario Forestry Association. Monies were used for field trips and program supplies. Boys 10-16 years learned about our resources and the conservation of them. Oakville was the first group chartered in Ontario (1963). Some of our young boys were involved in this organization.
In the 1970s, financial support was given to Royal Botanical Gardens, Burlington, for a Mobile Education Unit to teach horticulture to outpost locations in the Province for handicapped persons.
The availability of government programs, and the increase in the number of community focus groups, makes it no longer necessary for the Bronte Horticultural Society to have a prominent role in this type of activity.