Family of Harry and Wilma Wilson, ca1956
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Harry Wilson and Wilma Henderson married on February 21, 1943 in Toronto. At the time, Harry was an aircraftman in the R.C.A.F.
They lived in Palermo on what is now Old Bronte Road. Their house was built by Wilma's father, Ernest and his brother Harry Henderson. Ernest was a building contractor by trade, and built many of the local barns as well as being a member of Trafalgar Council from 1953 to 1956, held office with the Halton Conservatives Association, the Orange Lodge, was a member of the Trafalgar Parks Selection Committee.
Harry was hired as a Trafalgar Township policeman by Fred Oliver in 1952. Harry had previously been about 5 years with the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police), ranked Inspector. His appointment to the Trafalgar force was announced in the Toronto Daily Star on February 19, 1952.
Briefly: in 1948 Fred Oliver was selected from 110 applicants and appointed the Police Chief of Trafalgar Township. Along with his police duties, he was also the truant officer, dog catcher and building inspector for the Township of Trafalgar.
Fred policed from Lake Ontario on the south to Hornby, Ontario on the north and to Burloak Drive, as we know it now, on the west. His area included the Village of Bronte and excluded the Town of Oakville. Oakville was south of the Queen Elizabeth Way at that time and did not include the Ford plant lands. The population of this area was approximately 5,500. Fred worked alone out of his residence until 1952 when he hired a second officer, Harry Wilson.
Oldest son Walt (Walter), daughter (Grace) Elizabeth and brother Harry are shown with their parents. The children were active in the Trafalgar Township Police Boys Band and the Cubs among other groups (see the other photographs in the collection.) Wilma was active in area Women's Institutes among other groups (see the other photographs and information in the collection.)
- Personal Name(s):
- Henry Gardner Wilson, called Harry, b.April 9, 1914 d.April 11, 1995.
Wilma Maxine Henderson, b.December 29, 1913 d.January 9, 1982.
Walter Fredrick Wilson, called Walt, b.1947.
Grace Elizabeth Wilson, called Elizabeth, b.1950.
William Henry Wilson, called Harry, b.1955.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Family of Harry and Wilma Wilson, ca1956
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton