Likely 4116 Fourth Line, 1977
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The Town of Oakville has the photographs of this house labelled as, "4166 Fourth Line" but the current Heritage Planner believes it is more likely 4116 Fourth Line. She knows the house was located at Concession 2 NDS, Part of Lots 21 and 22. This, of course, is in the Glenorchy (aka Glenorky) village area of Trafalgar Township. There was a schoolhouse on the property. The house was possibly constructed in the 1840's - for sure it was prior to 1870. The property was associated with George Halliday, born in Scotland and settled here in 1842 to farm. By 1850, he had a sawmill on the East Sixteen Mile Creek at Glenorchy, Lot 21.
Fourth Line ran between Lots 20 and 21. Glenorchy is a rural farming community along Fourth Line between Burnhamthorpe Road West and the East Sixteen Mile Creek - now part of the Corporation of the Town of Oakville, Halton County.
The house was demolished to make way for Highway 407.
Our OurOntario collection also has Town of Oakville photographs of this house from 1997, 1991, 1990 and the 1980's. The photo from the 1980's is the best image, the house exterior is the same as this damaged 1977 one. Find these by searching by the Title address: "Likely 4116 Fourth Line".
- This photograph is in the Trafalgar Township Historical Society digital collection courtesy of the Heritage Planner, District East/Central, Town of Oakville.
- Date Of Event:
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Likely 4116 Fourth Line, 1977
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton