Gordon E. Perdue High School 25th Anniversary Programme, 1962 - 1987
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- In 1961, construction of this school was underway. Coincidentally, Prince Philip announced the need for a massive expansion of high school tecnical education and Canada responded with the Federal-Provincial Technical and Vocational Training Agreement with substantial grants for the composite academic, commercial and technical educational facilities. The Oakville Board was granted permission from the Ontario Department of Education to change Perdue to a composite school. (Prior to this, Oakville students wanting a technical education commuted into New Toronto.)
Gordon E. Perdue High School opened in September 1962. The school motto: "G.E. Perdue High School Nulli Secundus".
This information is taken from the 21 page "Perdue History 1962 - 1982" booklet in this record. You can open the complete document in PDF format or click on "Pages" "Select" to open individual pages.
Not only does the booklet include a history - which calls Mr. Perdue a "firebrand" who put the school in the news regularly, it has memories of events such as dances, sports (the Panther teams), drama, etc., includes the first valedictory address by Valerie Wakeman and names all valedictorians, the Student Council Presidents, Principals, vice-principals, teachers, administrative, custodial and lunch room staff. One of the best notes is from 1984: Mr. Lester Whiting enrolled as a student at the age of 82 years.
- Gordon Perdue had worked as a schoolteacher but became general manager of the Oakville Basket Company while serving as elected Chair of the local school board from 1949.
The school was located at 124 Dorval Drive on the southwest corner of Rebecca Street and Dorval, Oakville, Ontario. It was sold to the Halton Catholic District School Board in 1990 and is now St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Secondary School.
Click on "PDF" to view the multiple page programme as a single document. Or view each pair of pages individually by clicking on "Pages" "Select".
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical society
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Gordon E. Perdue High School 25th Anniversary Programme, 1962 - 1987
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton