Oakville Recreation Commission Day Camps, Summer 1959
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Oakville Summer Day Camp Memories by Ross Wark: This is a collection of photographs and memories about the Leadership Training Camp held in late June for the training of young people who were to be the camp leaders for the Oakville Recreation Commission summer day camps in the years 1957 to 1959. It also includes photographs taken of children and leaders at the day camp in August 1959. This particular photograph shows the campers of Janet Lees, and was taken by Janet, in 1959.
A parade was the culminating activity to the day camp sessions. The parents, children and leaders went to Coronation Park for games, skits and cookouts.
To see the entire collection, click on "Oakville Recreation Commission Day Camps" under "Groups of Related Records".
The Oakville Recreation Commission operated the Pine Ridge Day Camp program on the Rotary camp site on Lower Base Line (which separates Oakville and Milton ). A secondary site was located in Henderson Park on the Sixteen Mile Creek (a short walk down hill from the Rotary site.)
The teenaged Oakville camp leaders were trained at Fisher’s Glen Leadership camp in Norfolk County on Lake Erie. The 1958 Leadership Training camp ran for one week in late June to early July. Specific dates for 1959 were June 25-July 1.
Along with Ross Wark, other leaders in 1957-1959 were Heather Alberty, Gaye Anderson, Dale Arms, Jim Babinetz, Bob Ballantyne, Marion Bigger, Billy Lyn Boyle, Ann Burrel, Lil Berry, Cam Burns, Howard Corke, Graham Corke, Ann Couchnie, Kay Craig, Sheena Craig, Marie Cross, Barbara Day, Murray Dolman, Bob Elstone, Barb Hall, Ena Hendrie, Pat Hesler, Nancy Hill, Sue Hudson, Janet Lees, Herb Milnes, Gord, McNair, Janet Perkins, Kay Perkins, Helen Phetteplace, Heather Rammy, Peg Reckie, Carol Redshaw, Joan Rummery, Bob Sones was Assistant camp director in 1959, Wendy Squires, Michael Tipping, Peter Wakely, Madeleine Werner, Pam Whiting, Bill Young. (This list may be incomplete.)
Jack Ross, Oakville Director of Recreation and camp director during this time period, also attended these leader training camps.
August 2016, Rotary and Henderson Parks by Ross Wark:
Drove along Lower Base Line from Trafalgar Road to Regional Road #25. The Rotary Camp site has grown over completely! Long gone are the three cabins, washrooms and the dining building. (I’m glad I knew where the site was.) Down the steep hill was Henderson Park on the Sixteen Mile Creek. It has grown over too…reverting almost to its original form. Huge concrete rocks were placed to stop all access to the small parking lot…lots of fires and late night parties. When we had day camp there, this area was all part of Trafalgar Township.
Further information from Ross: the Rotary Park site was closed in the 1980's. The old bridge crossing the Sixteen Mile Creek at Henderson Park was demolished and a new one built in about 2012.
- Photographs courtesy of Janet (Lees) Timbrell and Ross Wark, Camp leaders 1957-1959.
This is one of a series of photographs and memories of working as a leader at one of the Oakville Recreation Commission summer day camps in the late 1950's. To see all the records, click on "Groups of Related Records" "Oakville Recreation Commission Day Camps."
- Date Of Event:
- Summer 1959
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Oakville Recreation Commission Day Camps, Summer 1959
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton