Oakville Recreation Commission Day Camp Leaders, Fisher's Glen, 1958
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Oakville Summer Day Camp Memories by Ross Wark: This is a collection of photographs and memories about the Leadership Training Camp held in late June for the training of young people who were to be the camp leaders for the Oakville Recreation Commission summer day camps in the years 1957 to 1959. It also includes photographs taken of children and leaders at the day camp in August 1959.
A parade was the culminating activity to the day camp sessions. The parents, children and leaders went to Coronation Park for games, skits and cookouts. The two float photographs were taken in the parade of August 1959.
To see the entire collection, click on "Oakville Recreation Commission Day Camps" under "Groups of Related Records".
The Oakville Recreation Commission operated the Pine Ridge Day Camp program on the Rotary camp site on Lower Base Line (which separates Oakville and Milton ). A secondary site was located in Henderson Park on the Sixteen Mile Creek (a short walk down hill from the Rotary site.)
The teenaged Oakville camp leaders were trained at Fisher’s Glen Leadership camp in Norfolk County on Lake Erie. The 1958 Leadership Training camp ran for one week in late June to early July. Specific dates for 1959 were June 25-July 1. This particular photograph shows the young Oakville guys at Fisher's Glen during training in 1958.
Along with Ross Wark, other leaders in 1957-1959 were Heather Alberty, Gaye Anderson, Dale Arms, Jim Babinetz, Bob Ballantyne, Marion Bigger, Billy Lyn Boyle, Ann Burrel, Lil Berry, Cam Burns, Howard Corke, Graham Corke, Ann Couchnie, Kay Craig, Sheena Craig, Marie Cross, Barbara Day, Murray Dolman, Bob Elstone, Barb Hall, Ena Hendrie, Pat Hesler, Nancy Hill, Sue Hudson, Janet Lees, Herb Milnes, Gord, McNair, Janet Perkins, Kay Perkins, Helen Phetteplace, Heather Rammy, Peg Reckie, Carol Redshaw, Joan Rummery, Bob Sones was Assistant camp director in 1959, Wendy Squires, Michael Tipping, Peter Wakely, Madeleine Werner, Pam Whiting, Bill Young. (This list may be incomplete.)
Jack Ross, Oakville Director of Recreation and camp director during this time period, also attended these leader training camps.
Other internet sites about the Fisher's Glen camp show the YMCA started it in 1908. In 1936 the property was purchased by Dr. Weston Krupp and formally donated to the Woodstock YMCA and the Rotary Club. It was closed in 1962.
- Photographs courtesy of Janet (Lees) Timbrell and Ross Wark, Camp leaders 1957-1959.
This is one of a series of photographs and memories of working as a leader at one of the Oakville Recreation Commission summer day camps in the late 1950's. To see all the records, click on "Groups of Related Records" "Oakville Recreation Commission Day Camps."
- Date Of Event:
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Oakville Recreation Commission Day Camp Leaders, Fisher's Glen, 1958
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton