The Sale of Holyrood House 1996
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A 2nd image of the house is included in this record, (see "Pages") as the house originally faced east and was turned to face west.
The 3rd image is an undated newspaper clipping from an earlier sale of the house. The caption reads, "Historic Holyrood house is on sale for just $1 plus the price of the land. The new owners must also be able to restore the home to its former glory."
The original Holyrood Estate was 15 to 17 acres of land on Lake Ontario of bush, field, apple orchard and open space. It was the last property on the south side of Lakeshore Road West (Highway 2) in the Town of Oakville, at the foot of Dorval Drive.
In 1811, the tract of land was conveyed by the Crown to William Stanton.
In 1867, the rectory was built by St. Jude's Anglican Church.
1867-1894: Samuel Oliver.
1894-1921: William Stuart (named it Holyrood House).
1921-1929: James Gundy.
1929-1945: Gordon Lefebvre.
1948-1955: Donald Davis.
1955-1969: David Knapp.
1969-1996: Norman Webster.
1996: subdivided into "Parsonage Estates".
- Information and photographs of Holyrood house, the Lefebvre family and the history of the property in the Trafalgar Township Historical Society digital collection were shared by Mr. Roy Lessels in May 2016. Roy's father was the head grounds keeper for the estate from 1929 to 1945, in the employ of Gordon Lefebvre, and again from 1955-1969 for David Knapp. The images with notes remain the property of Mr. Lessels.
The "Groups of Related Records" link will take you to the other records, maps of the property and photographs of the estate people in Mr. Lessels photo album. Another photograph of the house is in the collection - it is simply titled, "Holyrood House, Oakville".
- Photograph caption: An aerial shot of the historic Holyrood property as it looks today.
Town okays development of historic "Holyrood" advertising feature by Stephanie Henderson.
One of Oakville's great estates will soon become one of its most sought-after residential enclaves. Named after the ancient palace of the Scottish kings, "Holyrood" - or the remaining 5.5.-acre site and the historical home which sits upon it, has been sold to a local development group which has received draft plan approval for 20 lots.
Known most recently as the estate of Norman Webster, the lakefront land and the house upon it at 55 Holyrood Avenue have a rich history dating back 185 years. In 1811, the land was conveyed by Crown grant to a William Stanton.
It was later conveyed to St. Jude's Anglican Church which built a large square brick dwelling on the lakefront in 1867 as a rectory for Oakville's first Anglican church. After a few years the clergy found it to be an inconvenient distance from the church and built a new rectory (See "Holyrood's", page RE/MAX10).
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- The Sale of Holyrood House 1996
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton