Belinda (Cronkrite) Bigger
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Belinda and Michael married on November 13, 1851 at her parents home. This photograph was likely taken to commemorate their engagement; Belinda was age 17 at the time of her marriage. They farmed Lot 15, Concession 2 NDS Trafalgar, running north from Burnhamthorpe Road on the east side of 6th Line.
I found several possibilities as to Belinda's family.
There had been a John Cronkrite living in Trafalgar as early 1811 on Lot 5, Concession 2, SDS, on Crown Reserve land. The 1816 Trafalgar Township assessment showed he had 200 acres, 25 of which had been cultivated. (As per the Winter 2014 Trafalgar Township Historical Society Newsletter.)
As with the surname "Bigger" or "Biggar", "Cronkright" was spelled in a variety of ways, ie "Crontright" as in the 1841 Census showing William, a carpenter, his wife and three children in Oakville or in the same Census, John Cronkwright a farmer, Lot 5, Concession 2, SDS, his wife and 1 child all born in Canada. A link to the John Cronkwright entry is included in this record for your information.
The 1851 Census has a 17-year old girl named "Malinda" born in Canada, living with her parents, William and Mary Cronkrite, who had been born in the United States. A link to this entry in the Census is included here for your information.
- The notice of the death of this active farm wife and active leader of area community and church groups appeared in the January 5, 1899, p. 2, column 2, Milton newspaper, Canadian Champion, in the Oakville Gleanings section. The notice says, "The death occurred last Saturday of the wife of M. L. Bigger, agricultural implement agent, after a brief illness, in her sixty-fourth year. The funeral took place on Tuesday to St. Jude's cemetery".
Her certificate of death: Housewife, Married, Methodist, attending physician Dr Williams, Paralysis 3 days. SOURCE: Ontario Canada Deaths: Deaths Schedule C, Deaths Oakville, Halton 1898, Page 433, Entry No.358, Certificate No. 007358.
Thank you, Rosemary Stoebe of "www.findagrave.com", for assisting with this information.
- Belinda Cronkrite Bigger
- Personal Name(s):
- Belinda (Cronkrite) Bigger b.1834 d.December 31, 1898.
Belinda married Michael Lafey Bigger, b.January 27, 1825 d.December 10, 1921. Their children were James William Bigger, d.December 10, 1921 and Albert Anson Bigger, b.November 13, 1856, d.June 24, 1938. Albert married Henrietta (called Hettie) Almira (Munn) Bigger, b.October 26, 1860, d. November 26, 1962.
Michael was born in Stony Creek. The family had come north from the United States as so many did, through the Niagara area. His father was Richard Lanning Bigger, b. March 6, 1801 in Trafalgar Township, ON. He married Esther Lafey on October 2, 1823 in Ontario, Canada. After her death he married Mary Hunter. He died on January 9, 1879 in Trafalgar. He is buried in Omagh Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Trafalgar Township.
Michael's mother, Esther Lafey was born on June 22, 1804 in Saltfleet, Wentworth County, Ontario. She died on April 23, 1828 and is buried in Fifty Cemetery, Grimsby, Ontario.
The baby daughter of Richard and Esther died the year she was born, in 1828, living only from February to April. Michael's older brother, James Pettit Bigger, was born on June 30, 1824 in Saltfleet, Ontario. He married Priscilla Pettit Clement on February 27, 1849 in Trafalgar and their older children were born in Trafalgar Township. He died on July 14, 1905 in Jarvis, Walpole Township, Ontario.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Belinda (Cronkrite) Biggar
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton