Reeve Wilbert Biggar with Colleagues, New Trafalgar Township Hall, 1950
- Media Type:
- Wilbert Henry Biggar was a Halton County Council Reeve, representing Trafalgar Township. His father, Michael L. Bigger had been the Deputy Reeve - Oakville on the Halton County Council earlier in 1890-1891.
Trafalgar Township Hall was located on the south-east corner of Trafalgar Road (Seventh Line) and Dundas Street. The photograph linked to this record was taken in about 1940. It is the first Hall, the new Hall was built in 1950. (The old Hall had originally been built as a store in the 1880's.)
- Michael Lafey Bigger is shown on the 1859 Tremaine Map of Halton County as owning the property Lot 15, Concession 2 NDS Trafalgar Township, running north from Burnhamthorpe Road on the east side of 6th Line.
In 1898, Wilbert's parents, Albert and Hettie Biggar, built the lovely brick house on the family farm property. The farm was renowned for its prize animals and the Bigger family was active in local agricultural societies.
Wilbert bought an adjacent 300 acre farm for his son, Harold. The house on this property stands on the north side of Burnhamthorpe, just west of Trafalgar Road.
- Date of Publication:
- Date Of Event:
- Personal Name(s):
- Michael Lafey Bigger, d.December 10, 1921. Belinda (Cronkrite) Bigger, d.December 31, 1898. Their son, James William Bigger, d.December 10, 1921. Their son, Albert Anson Bigger, b.November 13, 1856, d.June 24, 1938.
Henrietta (called Hettie) Almira (Munn) Bigger, b.October 26, 1860, d. November 26, 1962. Hettie's parents were King Henry Munn and Ann Catherine Snider. Children of Hettie and Albert were: Clara A. Bigger, b.February 13, 1884, d.1978. William James, b.July 26, 1886.
Wilbert Henry, b.May 6, 1887 d.June 13, 1960. Married Mary Ethel Conover, b.February 26, 1888 d.April 3, 1949.
Mary's parents were: William Russell Conover b.December 15, 1851 in Trafalgar Township, Halton County, d. after 1927. He married Charlotte McGowan on January 13, 1886 in Trafalgar Township. Charlotte McGowan was b.August 1, 1859 in Trafalgar Township, d.January 15, 1927 in Trafalgar.
Wilbert and Mary Ethel's children were Harold C., 1917-2004, Clare O. Bigger, 1937-1945, Lois, 1919-1997, Russell and (twins) Martha and Kathryn.
The family is buried at St. Jude's Cemetery, Oakville. The surname spelling on their headstone is "Bigger" but the spelling "Biggar" has also been commonly used by the family.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Recommended Citation:
- Reeve Wilbert Biggar with Colleagues, New Trafalgar Township Hall, 1950
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton