Oakville Images
1856 Bill of Lading for Goods Purchased by J.K. Applebee
:


Description
Media Type:
Image
Text
Item Type:
Invoices
Description:
Unfortunately we can't decipher what goods arrived in Oakville Harbour for "Squire" Applebee of Postville. Note the spelling of "Appelbe" on this bill. (The search for the 1851 Census has the name as "Appellie" but the ledger itself clearly shows the spelling "Appelbe".

Our donor points out that while the postage charge is in Halifax Currency, ie £-s-p (pounds, shillings, pence), the invoice itself is made up in dollars and cents. For more information on what "Halifax Currency" was, see the text linked to this record.

The following excerpt from the "Early Ward 5" history written by Michelle Knoll and linked to this record tells about Mail Service in Trafalgar Township, and James Applebe's role as Postmaster of Postville. (Note: Postville had originally been called "Post's Corners".)

The Mail:
In 1816 a stage coach service was started along Dundas between York (Toronto) and Dundas. The stage stopped at Post's Corners. The driver of the coach put the mail bags under his seat or on top of the coach. The coaches were adorned with the King's Coat of Arms. Upon reaching a post office the driver blew a blast on his horn and threw the mailbag off the stage. The postmaster emptied the bag, took out what was addressed to his district and put the rest back, along with outgoing mail from his office. At Post's Corners there was a twenty minute delay while the horses were changed over. The receiver paid for the letters when they arrived and because of the cost some pioneers were unable to get their mail. A letter from England would take about 6 months to arrive in Halton Co.

The Trafalgar Post office was opened in 1822 at 9th line in the store kept by Henry Proudfoot. It was the first post office in Halton County and the only post office between York and Dundas. The office was later moved to Post's Corners with the opening of 7th line (Trafalgar Rd. ) to the north. It was located on the north west corner of Trafalgar and Dundas and was purchased by James Appelbe. In 1833 the mail was delivered along the Lakeshore and Duncan McColl was the post-boy on horseback who for years carried the mail up to Post's Corners Post Office. In about 1908 Jim Curry of Milton started a rural mail service and delivered to people's homes.
Notes:
The second image in this record shows the verso of the bill. The initials, "RKC" are those of Robert Kerr Chisholm who was the Postmaster and Customs Agent at Oakville. (A link to his Wikipedia page is added for your further information.)

James Appelbe came to Canada in 1815 with his mother and older brother, William Appelbe. They first settled in Esquesing Township. James apprenticed with a Hamilton merchant as a teenager, and went on to teach at Munn's school. In 1831 he married widow Jemima (Kaitting) McDuffy (or McDuffe/McDuffee), an early family of settlers in Trafalgar Township, arriving in 1808.

James Appelbe was postmaster, storeowner, Justice of the Peace, Treasurer of Trafalgar Township and one of the first directors of the Bank of Toronto. He built a home in about 1850, at what is now 257 Dundas Street East in the former hamlet of Postville/Post Corners/Trafalgar.

The street address of the Appelbe house was 257 Dundas Street East. The location was on the northwest corner of Trafalgar Road and Dundas Street. As of October 2017, the Applebe house has been moved to 3041 Postville Street, Oakville.
Inscriptions:
Oakville Harbour, 6th May 1856 ; The...arrived here this day, bringing Bills of Lading of sundry articles said to be on Board to your address, according to the following Copy, Shipped by...at... ; ALL CHARGES AS UNDER, PAYABLE ON DELIVERY, ; MARKS AND OWNER'S NAMES, J.K. Applebe ; PEICES, DESCRIPTION, 1 Doz 2 ??, 1 Doz 3, 1 doz 4, 1 Doz ? ; WEIGHT. ; RATE. ; AMOUNT. ; Shipper's Charges ; Freight from...to... ; Oakville Harbour Toll ; Receiving and Storage ; Receiving and Cartage ; $25 (Total).

Back of Bill:
RKC ; J.K. Applebee Esq. Postville 1/2 d
Date Of Event:
1856
Subject(s):
Personal Name(s):
James K. Appelbe, b.1803 in Belfast, Ireland. Died June 26, 1878. Married Jemima (Kaitting) McDuffee in March 1831. Jemima (Kaitting) McDuffe, b.February 4, 1807, d.May 6, 1880. Robert Kerr Chisholm, b.May 26, 1819 d.February 27, 1899.
Local identifier:
TTDH000453
Collection:
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
Recommended Citation:
1856 Bill of Lading for Goods Purchased by J.K. Applebe
Contact
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Email
WWW address

Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










1856 Bill of Lading for Goods Purchased by J.K. Applebee


Unfortunately we can't decipher what goods arrived in Oakville Harbour for "Squire" Applebee of Postville. Note the spelling of "Appelbe" on this bill. (The search for the 1851 Census has the name as "Appellie" but the ledger itself clearly shows the spelling "Appelbe".

Our donor points out that while the postage charge is in Halifax Currency, ie £-s-p (pounds, shillings, pence), the invoice itself is made up in dollars and cents. For more information on what "Halifax Currency" was, see the text linked to this record.

The following excerpt from the "Early Ward 5" history written by Michelle Knoll and linked to this record tells about Mail Service in Trafalgar Township, and James Applebe's role as Postmaster of Postville. (Note: Postville had originally been called "Post's Corners".)

The Mail:
In 1816 a stage coach service was started along Dundas between York (Toronto) and Dundas. The stage stopped at Post's Corners. The driver of the coach put the mail bags under his seat or on top of the coach. The coaches were adorned with the King's Coat of Arms. Upon reaching a post office the driver blew a blast on his horn and threw the mailbag off the stage. The postmaster emptied the bag, took out what was addressed to his district and put the rest back, along with outgoing mail from his office. At Post's Corners there was a twenty minute delay while the horses were changed over. The receiver paid for the letters when they arrived and because of the cost some pioneers were unable to get their mail. A letter from England would take about 6 months to arrive in Halton Co.

The Trafalgar Post office was opened in 1822 at 9th line in the store kept by Henry Proudfoot. It was the first post office in Halton County and the only post office between York and Dundas. The office was later moved to Post's Corners with the opening of 7th line (Trafalgar Rd. ) to the north. It was located on the north west corner of Trafalgar and Dundas and was purchased by James Appelbe. In 1833 the mail was delivered along the Lakeshore and Duncan McColl was the post-boy on horseback who for years carried the mail up to Post's Corners Post Office. In about 1908 Jim Curry of Milton started a rural mail service and delivered to people's homes.