- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is a photo of a home at 271 Trafalgar Road that for more than 50 years was the manse for the minister of Knox Presbyterian Church. In 1927 it was purchased by the family of Walter Adamson who later became the Clerk of Session for Knox. Mr. Adamson was 14 when his father, Robert and mother Ethel, moved here from Toronto and bought the home from the church. Walter's father, Robert, renovated it, raising the kitchen roof and put in a coal-fired kitchen stove. The basement had a furnace and coal room. The house was originally built in the early 1860s by shipwright John Potter of Nova Scotia, who never lived in the building and died in 1908 at the age of 92. After being built, the house was rented early in the 1870s to the church and in 1881 was purchased by the congregation. With its distinctive bell tower, it is the only example of Italianate Villa architecture in Oakville. The tower balconies, visible in the photo, are now gone. Exactly why it came to be known among Oakville residents as Potter's Folly is uncertain according to Suzanne and David Peacock of our congregation.
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Knox Presbyterian Church, OakvilleEmail
Agency street/mail address
89 Dunn Street, Oakville ON L6J 3C8