Cecil Norton with Son Grant on Fordson Tractor
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Linked here is a photograph of the family house and the story of the start of the bus line operated and owned by the family.
The Halton District School Board honoured Cecil by naming the school nearby the old house after him.
"C. H. Norton Public School was named for Cecil Norton who started a ‘bus’ system by taking a group of kids to school in an seven-passenger Pierce Arrow Limousine in 1936. He recognized that every child, regardless of circumstances, needed and deserved an education and without his transportation, many students in the rural communities in north Burlington would not have been able to attend school. Over the next several decades, Mr Norton’s business grew into a fleet of 500 buses, transporting 15,000 students each day. The present day location of C. H. Norton Public School is located several hundred yards from Cecil Norton’s former home."
- The Norton farm was just inside the Town Line (now Tremaine Rd.) boundary of Nelson Twsp. on Dundas Street, now in Burlington, formerly Trafalgar Township. LOT 1 CON 1 NDS Palermo was their home base for school, church, family etc.
- Personal Name(s):
- Cecil Norton, 1900-1983
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Cecil Norton with Son Grant on Fordson Tractor
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton