The Village of Bronte: Preserving the Past
Glendella Cottage
Glendella Cottage
Glendella Cottage Details

With the harbour complete, Bronte became a busy spot for merchants. By 1850 Bronte had two hotels to meet the need of the many visitors - The Triller House and the Thompson's Hotel (Glendella Cottage). The Thompson's Hotel was run by the Thompson family, who bought the 12000 sq foot property from the Belyea family. The inn stayed in the Thompson family until 1887 when Edward Thompson sold the inn to Richard Benjamin Joyce who changed the name to Glendella*.

Around the time of Benjamin's purchase was when the price of wheat collapsed and Bronte's economy declined. When Benjamin died in 1909, his wife Mary, took in boarders and summer guests to keep the business running. It has been suggested that candy and groceries were also sold at the inn during this time.

The building sat empty between the 1940 and 1950 until granddaughter, Donna Joyce,and her husband William "Bill" Hill, decided to convert the inn into a four-unit apartment.

Glendella is a simple two-story white clap board house. The basement walls are built from local dundas shale. The property has been designated as a historic property and is scheduled for restoration in the near future.

Courtesy of Bronte Historical Society
Glendella Cottage (Thompson's Inn)
Glendella Cottage (Thompson's Inn) Details
Glendella Cottage/Thompson's Inn is undergoing restoration as it has been designated a heritage building.
Glendella Cottage, 2013
Glendella Cottage, 2013 Details




*A long-time Bronte resident and historian pointed out that there are two dates listed for the sale of Glendella Cottage to the Joyce family. This date, 1887, is listed in Oakville: Street Names and Landmarks by David Ashe and Joyce Burnell, p 40. The later date, 1898, comes from Places and People on Bronte Creek by Dorothy Turcotte, page 95.
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit