The Village of Bronte: Preserving the Past
PagesBronteTimelineNamesakesEarly Economy and Trade In BronteNotable PeopleThe Sovereign Family & The Sovereign HouseBronte Steam MillLakeside MarketeriaGlendella CottageBronte Fresh Air HomeThe Bronte Post OfficeOther Historic SitesEphemeraThe Harbour AreaBronte BeachCelebrating BronteFurther Resources
1814 Philip Sovereign and his family move to the area of Bronte (known then as the Twelve).
1815 Bronte’s first log school is built.
1834 The Village of Bronte is officially founded and the first sawmill is built.
1838 First warehouse built by Andrew Gage.
1850s Two hotels were open for business in Bronte: The Triller House and Thompson’s Hotel.
1851 Bronte Post Office is built
1856 Completion of Bronte Harbour.
1858 Bronte Steam Mill opens.
1940 Heavy rains and high water levels devastate the Bronte shoreline and have a negative impact on the commercial fishing industry.
1947 William ‘Bill’ Hill, along with his wife Donna Hill, opens the noteworthy Lakeside Marketeria on Ontario St.
1951-1958 Bronte is officially incorporated as a village within the Trafalgar Township.
1960 Bronte Harbour Yacht Club opens.
1962 Bronte and The Trafalgar Township officially become part of Oakville.
1988 Sovereign House is saved from demolition by The Bronte Historical Society.
1990 Outer Harbour Marina completed.
1998-2002 More work done to the Outer Harbour Marina, including the construction of a large banquet centre and restaurant.
2007 Bronte Commercial Fishermen's Memorial unveiled.