The Village of Bronte: Preserving the Past
Other Historic Sites

The Walton Manse was purchased by the church in the 19th century to be the home of Walton Memorial United Church's Reverend. It moved locations in 2012 from Bronte Rd. to Jones St. to make way for a new build. Part of the negotiations for the new build included Walton Manse's preservation and restoration. With interesting architectural elements such as elaborate brickwork and windows, the building is a good example of Edwardian architecture mixed with Queen Anne style.("Walton's Manse on the Move" 1,8)
Built around WWI and demolished sometime in the 1950s the Bronte Pavilion was a community hall, the location of many summer dances and other social events. Just behind the pavilion was a merry-go-round for children to enjoy.

Ann Sriker (nee Bumby) recalls "Dancing to 'The Shoemaker' at the new pavilion." - From Walton Memorial United Church- One Hundred and Fifty Years "Personal Memories of Bronte"
Bronte Pavilion in Winter
Bronte Pavilion in Winter Details
The merry-go-round located behind the Bronte Pavilion.
A day in Bronte
A day in Bronte Details
Drawing of the original Bronte lighthouse
Drawing of the original Bronte lighthouse Details
Construction on the lighthouse (and pier) began once the harbour was completed in 1856. The original Bronte lighthouse was a simple wooden construction and the lamp was fueled by oil.

Courtesy of Bronte Historical Society
The radial line ran from Hamilton to Toronto up until the 1920s. The line followed Radial Rd. which is now Rebecca St. It was demolished during the 1950s. Evidence of the old radial line can still be found on the underside of the Rebecca St. bridge in Bronte.

Courtesy of Bronte Historical Society
Radial Bridge/Line in Bronte
Radial Bridge/Line in Bronte Details
Bronte Public School
Bronte Public School Details
Bronte Public School, later renamed to Centriller School built around 1923 and added to in 1949. In June of 1976, Centriller School closed its doors and was torn down by 1979.

Courtesy of Bronte Historical Society
Centriller Square in Bronte is where Centriller School once stood. It is now home to businesses such as Denningers, CJ's Cafe, R&R Books and Subway.
Centriller Square
Centriller Square Details
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit