When Ford of Canada first purchased 410 acres of land in Oakville for the development of a new assembly plant, many concerns arose for the small town. Written in the Hamilton Spectator, Bruce Murdoch noted that, "With the recent announcement that the Ford Motor Company of Canada is to build a huge assembly plant in the township, a short distance from the present town limits, it is freely predicted that Oakville is bound to become a city of twenty to twenty-five thousand population in the not-far-distant future" (1951). In 1953, the Oakville Ford Plant was officially opened. In spite of their concerns Oakville residents soon learned that the Ford factory only further expanded Oakville’s industries, bringing new businesses that were needed to supply and service the Ford automobile products. On May 11, 1953, the first brand new car rolled off the assembly line at the Oakville Ford Plant, the 2,794,525th automobile built by Ford Motor Company of Canada.