Store and Garage at Trafalgar Road and Dundas Street, ca1940
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This store, gas station and ice cream booth on the south-west corner of Trafalgar Road (7th Line) and Dundas Street was photographed about 1940.
The two-storey central building in this photograph is the original Post's Inn, according to Town of Oakville Heritage Planner, Carolyn Van Sligtenhorst in May 2016.
Two other photographs of the south-east corner of the intersection, showing the Trafalgar Township (or Twp.) Hall, have been added to this record for your further information.
In the 1950's, Ogden's was the place to go for good ice cream. The Inn was torn down in the late 1960's.
Post's Corners was one of the first hamlets in Trafalgar Township. It was located at the intersection of what is now Trafalgar Road (Seventh Line) and Dundas Street, Oakville, Ontario. The Post family owned the land on two corners of the intersection, purchased ca 1806 and 1816, resulting in the village name, "Post's Corners". As of 1858, the hamlet was known as Postville.
Thanks to the research of Michelle Knoll, we know that the Post family built the Post's Inn in 1818 (Lot 13 1 SDS). The stage coach started in the 1820's with 2 coaches running daily from Toronto to Dundas, the village just north of Hamilton. Mail was the primary business of the coaches, passengers as well. Postville being a changing station for the horses, there was also a large stable. A second stable was later added on the north side of Dundas to accommodate up to 50 horses. The Inn was first run by Ephraim Post.
It had 5 fireplaces. There was a shed behind the Inn which stored items of the local militia for military drills. Much local business was done at the Inn. There are records of ward elections taking place there until at least 1852.
For a short time during the temperance movement, the hotel was a temperance hotel. By 1833, coaches were using the Lakeshore road and steamships were running to Hamilton, thus reducing the need for the Dundas stage coaches. When the railway started in the 1840s, the Inn was less important. Son Hiram took over management in 1841. At this time, a two-storey addition was added across the front.
The 1857 Tremaine's map shows the property was owned by Benjamin Thompson.
James Young was running the Inn in 1876 when George Baker took over and remained until his death. This complex was owned by Bob Fairman in the 1950s.
Jordan Munn first owned the land on the north-east corner of the intersection (Lot 12 Con 1 NDS) from 1813-1816. It then came to be owned by by the Post family, first Ephraim Post from 1816-1883. From 1883 to 1948, Thompson E.S. Post owned the land, and from 1948 to 1979, it was owned by Frederick J. Post. S.S.#3 was built on this corner in the 1820s (and later moved to Burnhamthorpe Road near Sniders Corners). The Post family home on the northeast corner was torn down in 1965.
Dent's store and gas station were right on the north-west corner, with Bradley's Hardware store a bit further west along Dundas.
- Road and Dundas Street. c. 1940.
Store and garage s.w. corner of Trafalgar Rd., and Dundas St., c. 1940.
Signs on building: Ogden's, Buckingham, 7 Up, Coca Cola
- Date of Publication:
- Date Of Event:
- Personal Name(s):
- Ezekiel Post, 1771-1838.
Ephraim Post, 1776-1851.
Hiram Post, 1803-1860.
Jordan Daniel Munn, 1809-1892.
Thompson E.S. Post, 1856-1889.
Frederick J. Post, 1886-1978.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Store and Garage at Trafalgar Road and Dundas Street, ca1940
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton