Mary Lawrence (Mrs. Thomas Jull)
Ross & Harvey, Orangeville, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The Orangeville Banner, April 1904.
Obituary; Mrs Thos. Jull.
On Thursday, March 29th the death of Mrs. Thos. Jull, an old and highly respected resident of this town, took place at the home of her son, Mr. Orange Jull, 97 MacDonell Ave. Parkdale. Her demise occurred at the ripe age of 81 years and 6 months. The deceased lady was the oldest daughter of Orange and Sarah Lawrence, the fomer of whom was the founder of Orangeville. She was born near Oakville on October 11th, 1822. She came to Orangeville with her husband in the autmn of 1857. The latter was for many years one of Orangeville's most active and public spirited citizens. He it was who built the stone flour mill at present operated by Summerfeldt Brs. He also erected the old Millet Foundry where the Electric Light power house now stands. On the incorporation of Orangeville as a town he became its first reeve. After the death of her husband on Nov. 19th, 1896, Mrs. Jull continued to reside in the house which they had built on the corner of John and Little York Sts. and which was the first brick residence in Orangeville. In 1901, however, she sold her home to Mr. Geo. McIntyre and after a continuous residence of 44 years in the town, moved to Toronto where she has since lived with her son. A faithful and loyal member of the Methodist church from her childhood, her home was always open to church workers and especially to Methodist ministers, who showed their esteem and gratitude by six of their number attending the service at her late home in Parkdale. Of a family of nine children, two sons, Bennett and Orange, of Toronto survive. She leaves nine living grandchildren, two great grandchildren, two adopted daughters, Mrs. Hurgher, of Toronto, and Mrs. (Dr) Dorland of Oakville, Two brothers, Ferris of Sheridan, and Orange of Orangeville, and two sisters, Mrs Reid and Mrs (Dr.) Armstrong of Toronto. At the request of her old-time friends her remains which were brought to Orangeville for interment, were conveyed to the home of her niece, Mrs. Geo Beswick, West Broadway, where a short service was held by Rev. Mr. Bartley on Friday afternoon and her sorrowing friends were allowed the opportunity of looking for the last time upon the face of one of the pioneers of Methodism in Orangeville. The interment took place in Greenwood cemetery.
- Mary's parents: In 1815, Orange Lawrence came from the United States. In 1823, Orange and his wife, Sarah, settled on a farm near Hammondsville, later renamed Sheridan, Lot 1, Con. 2, SDS, Trafalgar Township. The farm remained in the possession of the family until 1977. In 1844, Orange and Sarah moved to found Orangeville.
- Personal Name(s):
- Mary (Lawrence) Jull, b.October 11, 1822 d.March 29, 1904
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Mary Lawrence (Mrs. Thomas Jull)
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton