Frances M. Oakley
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Frances was one of the four children of Thomas Dean and Sarah Howard. Her brothers and sisters were Thomas, John Howard and Patience. She married Joseph Oakley in 1817 in London, England.
Following their marriage, Joseph and Frances sailed to Canada where their first son, Joseph Howard, was born on November 15, 1818 in Grimsby. The family also lived in Waterdown, East Flamborough, before moving to a farm in Trafalgar Township. Their other children were Amanda, Jennie, Elizabeth and Sylvester.
During the illness of her daughter, Amanda, Frances lived with her in Topeka, Kansas. While visiting in Chicago, on April 14, 1880, her 80th birthday, she had her photograph taken.
In the 1880 Census of Chicago, Illinois, Frances is listed as a boarder with an unrelated family. There is no information as to when she returned to Kansas.
She died there and is buried in St. George Cemetery, St. George, Pottawatamie Co., Kansas.
This photograph was taken in Chicago, IL on April 14, 1880, at age 81.
- Joseph Oakley was one of four brothers who came from England, possibly Bedford. His brothers were John, who arrived in Niagara in October 1814 and within months, was appointed the charge of Fort George's military stores. Reuben was a teacher and apothecary who married first, Elizabeth Inglehart, and then her sister Mary Inglehart Colanda with whom he is buried in Palermo United Cemetery, Trafalgar. There is no record of the fourth brother named Abraham Oakley but both John and Reuben named a son Abraham in honour of either this brother or possibly it was their father.
- Grandma Oakley
- Date of Publication:
- 14 Apr 1880
- Date Of Event:
- April 14, 1880
- Personal Name(s):
- Frances Mary (Dean) Oakley, baptized at St. Paul, Deptford, Kent, England on April 14, 1799, married Joseph Oakley on July 13, 1817 at St. Mary, Stratford Le Bow, London, England, d. December 9, 1888.
Joseph Oakley was born in 1795 in England. Little information is know of him.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
United States, United States
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Frances M. Oakley
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton