Oakville Historical Society Presents 150 Years of Oakville
Ballymena was constructed at Lakeshore Road East at Morrison Road circa 1912
Burden (Raymar) Estate OHS #5937 Details
The Burden estate was constructed in 1824. The house was named "Raymar" when it was owned by the Gordon family. One daughter was named "Ray" and the other daughter "Marjorie", hence the name 'Raymar' as it is still known today.
Home of Mr. and Mrs. Wilfred M. Cox, July 1, 1931. Guests included (L to R): Walter Harland Smith, Mrs. Jas.A. Gairdner, Mrs. Fleming, Mrs. W.M.Copeland,Mrs. Robt. K. Armstrong, Mrs. H.W.E.Kepler, Mr. W.M. Copeland, Mr. R.K. Armstrong, Mr. Jas Stutt, Mr. Wilfred M. Cox, Master John Cox and Mrs. Wilfred M. Cox. Mr. and Mrs. J. Grant Ryrie are inside the coach.
Edgemere Estate OHS #623 (side view) Details
Edgemere Estate is located at 1502 Lakeshore Road East and was the estate of John Gairdner
Ruth Atkinson Hindmarsh's Memoirs, edited by Dr. Carol Hindmarsh Details
The Hindmarsh family purchased 10 acres of land along the Lakeshore, and built what was considered to be one of the most prestigious estates on the land. The family founded the Toronto Star, and entertained many notable figures at their home. The estate was sold and developed with many lovely homes being built after being owned by the family for 100 years.